Saturday, 20 November 2010

Old habits ...


Friday afternoon on the Paralia, and some habits do not change ...

A leisurely lunch, a sundowner or two, and Michael fishing on the Paralia. I did not take part in the first two, but never tire of a chat with Michael.

Michael is a gentleman, and one of the islands nice guys, a fervent West Ham fan, and intrepid fisherman - So lets leave the run of bad luck there ...


He has been lucky and unlucky this autumn. He has landed a couple of Tsipoura (Fish) on the Paralia and the odd Tsipouro (Drink) to keep out the cold. He lost one the other night to a taverna cat as he landed it, and the taverna cats as you know, never miss an opportunity ...

There he was this afternoon, with family and friends, outside Syrano fishing away, telling me the full moon would help. It was around 4pm and nothing would bite until 5.30pm onwards - yet a few metres away young lads were catching small fish and returning them.

I gave him a bag of fresh satsumas, the first of the winter crop. I had been given a carrier bag full myself and passed some to him. We shared the seasons free spoils, he promises me a Tsipoura - just like he did last year, I still wait to taste the fruits of the sea ...


No comments:

Post a Comment