Monday, 29 November 2010

Nothing makes us more happy ...

... than when we are discussing the weather

Here its unseasonably warm, winds from the south, and occasionally there is sahara sand dusting the cars. Today its been cloudy but the wind has been blowing hard from the south. There is a phrase - 'cracking the flags' and it has been. The Greek flag by the submarine mermorial looked like it had been starched and waves were crashing against the harbour wall, sending spray on to the paralia and beyond.

I made my usual tour of town, popping into the water company to pay my bill. There i made my usual request to change the address, from a friends PO box to my house address. They photocopied the bill again, took the details, copied my electricity bill as proof of my address and said it would be done. Just as they have for the last five two monthly bills ...

A walk for a coffee, and opportunity to get out of the breeze. I did say hello to quite a few people who now seem to know me, even if i can not always place them. Its good to be in town in winter, its where the life is.

Its warm enough for me at the moment. Whilst i was sitting outside the coffee shop in shirtsleeves, my Greek neighbours were sitting inside with their coats on. Old ladies were covering their mouths with scarves, to keep out the wind from their lungs.

One thing everyone was talking about was the weather, its too warm. My contribution was that the strong breeze, had moved around 5 degrees. This brought some amazement, and i explained, I had sat out of the breeze, and was now in it. Nods of approval (Or he is crackers)

They asked what the weather was like in the UK, I told them it was cold and snowing. Winter had come earlier this year (by about two weeks) and it was the same in France, and also very cold in Spain

I headed off along the spray soaked Paralia, and bumped into Phil and his wife at Taverna O'Batis. We had a quick Tsipouro together, and were spoilt by the lovely Eleni, with an excellent meze that included Red Mullet, Huge Calamari, Beetroot salad, Zucchini and Cheese balls ...

What better way is there to enjoy lunch, on a warm windy day overlooking the harbour in Skiathos ...






No comments:

Post a Comment