Friday, 26 November 2010

Don't do it ...

Dont do it - but they did ...

Tonight, they celebrated the arrival of Beaujolais Nouveau. Rejoice in the first wine of 2010 they said ...

Quite why you would want to dine in one one of the better restaurants in town, and drink that wine defies all known logic. Whats more they want €15 a bottle for the somewhat dubious opportunity.

You can still get a decent bottle of red here for under €5 in one of the supermarkets. Much to my surprise there is a decent 2008 Merlot on sale at just €2.75 - and it has a cork stopper ! If you want to make a stew, with some robust wine for cooking, it will cost €2 for 1.5 litres and you still retain your eyesight afterwards.

As for the arrival of Beaujolais Nouveau and it being the first wine of 2010, Well I am afraid that is not true. The 2010 vintage Skiathos wine, in 1.5 litre bottles, has been available for a few weeks. Its pretty rough, just like the celebrated Beaujolais. It packs a punch but whereas Beaujolais gives you the hangover from hell, the Skiathos Nouveau does not.

Some years ago i was introduced to the 'Skiathos Nouveau' one November evening. I was very wary as it was being decanted, from what seemed to be, a second hand diesel Jerrycan.

Tasting notes: 'Skiathos Nouveau' 2007

I held it up to the light, and thanks to the use of a halogen bulb, I could detect some rose hue'd colour in the swirling mists.
I took in the aroma, the 'nose' i remember was interesting, it felt like all my sinuses had been cleared, back as far as London.
The taste on the palate was hard to define, as there was not any to be had that i could detect through the numbing sensation.
So i closed my eyes, and savoured the moment, I wished I was not there ...

"Its good i said" - Mistake, they poured me another, then another, then it got a bit blurry, there was music, there was dancing ...............

The following morning, i woke, gripped the bed, pulled myself upright focused ...

'YES I CAN STILL SEE'
But no hangover, I was amazed, I thought its going to be a creeper, you know the one that creeps up on you at 11am and leaves you groggy all afternoon - But no much to my surprise, nothing at all.

That night i went back to the scene of the previous nights entertainment, and all was well. My party pals should have still been in bed, as they were rocking when i arrived, the night before.
Yet they seemed none the worse for wear. Better still no sign of the diesel decanter, which apparently we had emptied around 4am.

'4AM' I was up at eight ...

Last year i was back there, when in walked one of the gang, saw me turned round and went back out. Feeling a little uncomfortable i watched as he returned with something from the back of his pick up truck, in a bag.

"There you go - "Xronia Polla" It was Christmas eve, and he had given me another 1.5 Litres of the 'Skiathos Nouveau' this time the 2009 vintage. (For tasting notes - see 2007 vintage above)

I must admit the emotion of the moment brought a tear to my eye, and he smiled as he brought a glass so we could share one, which became two together. Luckily for me, i was staying out of town, so sadly the party could not be repeated.

One day a few weeks later, a friend asked what did you use on the sink, there was a stain that we could not remove. Did you scrub it, what did you use ...

Then i remember the last resting place of the 2009 vintage, its pretty good at cleaning sinks, just like the Beaujolais ...

So rejoice in the first wine of 2010, and if your enamel needs cleaning, don't hesitate just give me a call ...

No comments:

Post a Comment