Saturday, 10 December 2016

A message from SWMBO (Update) ...

Dear friends,

Let me share with you my news.


There has been a while since my operation in July. A very tough time for myself, and my family. Another major procedure in my life, and I hope the last one.

Last week I had two appointments at Royal Marsden with my surgeon and radiologist. Both check-ups went well. I still can’t believe that they said I am at least for now, cancer free.

When my surgeon said: 'Your scans are clear Kamila' I asked: Are you sure? Then we had a long chat about my situation now. No one can promise me that cancer will not be back, but I have a chance to live longer without than with cancer.

He gave me some advice: ‘Stop worry about having cancer back’ etc. ‘Just live like every day is your last day’ He also told me it’s normal, that I do not trust the doctors when they say that everything is ok with me, after what I have been through.

I know it is not over. I still have a lot of appointments, check-ups, scans ahead but now I have hope, that I am going to see my daughter growing up, and my husband growing older :)

I am so grateful for all the support from my oncology consultants. Especially doctor Sarah Payne, who was the only one who fought for me, even when others said there was no hope. She said ‘let’s try every avenue’ she sent letters to the other hospitals asking for help. Thanks to her alone, a miracle happened.

My last option, the Royal Marsden invited me for an appointment and a chat. There were no promises but they said: let’s try. But first try another six treatments. Next time they said ‘We will see you in surgery’.

They are no words to thank my surgeon doctor Rasheed, and his team for all what they have done for me. There is no other hospital in UK which makes that kind of procedure, and not many in Europe at all.

I would like to thank all of you for being for me there, when I was in a dark place during a year of Chemotherapy, and toxic drugs. Thank you again and again for your positive thoughts, prayers, messages, emails, letters, cards, flowers, and all positive vibes when I needed them most. I knew I was not alone and so many people, were thinking of and supporting me.

A special thank you to the friends who came a long way to visit, both UK and all the way from Skiathos.

And finally, a big thank to my husband Ian and my daughter Ollie. Without them that would never happened. They stood by me, kept me strong, and never let me give up (even if at times, I really wanted to).

I am going to close ‘Kamila’s fight for life’ page very soon. It’s been four and a half years of pain and surgery. That was a long journey, but it’s time now, to move on and live.

Have a great Christmas everyone, we might even have one too for a change. Thank you all for being there for me. When I needed you most, and could not tell you.

Life is good
Kamila xxx


Later update: 11/12/2016

Kamila's fight for life (86 comments posted)
Dear friends,


WOW! I have never expected response like that. 

I know the many of have been affected by cancer somehow. I also believe people like happy news, rather something scary or terrible. So, perhaps I made your day, and you certainly have made mine! 
Thank you all for your kind words, wishes messages and tears. 
That means a lot to me and I will never forget it! 
Have a wonderful cheerful Christmas, fulfil it with love, and the company of people who are important to you. That’s what matters for me the most! 

Have a very Merry Christmas! xx

25 comments:

  1. Brilliant news, what a lovely Christmas present for you all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve

      Thank you for the message, Kamila is quite stunned by the reaction to her update.
      Its been quite a few weeks. For the first time in years we have been able to plan ahead beyond seven days - Sounds strange doesn't it. But thats the way its been.
      The team at RM have been amazing - The surgeon was hugging her. He says he has never met anyone like her.
      Hopefully next year we can get back to Skiathos for a holiday and thank all those people there who helped us.

      Best wishes

      Skiathian SWMBO & Junior :)

      Delete
  2. Fantastic news, for a great family. Enjoy your Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve

      Thanks for that - You are one of the best. I still remember that parcel you sent me - I owe you big style ...

      Delete
    2. You don't owe me at all Ian, just glad you are reporting good news! The parcel helped me shift some spare carpet underlay anyway! 😀

      Delete
  3. El Tel

    Thank you for the message, You were with us from the start - we owe you a beer in Skiathos one day -All the best ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic news, hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and many more to come xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will certainly try this year - Best wishes to you both ...

      Delete
  5. Wonderful, wonderful news! I read this three times for the joy of it! So wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know more than most, what we have been through. Have fun over the pond ...

      Delete
  6. Magical words you have fought long and hard to hear, Kamila you are a remarkable lady. Have the best Christmas ever. Much love to you all xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs W - Book that ticket, we need a rendezvous xxx

      Delete
  7. Fantastic news. I hope you and your family have an enjoyable Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, that's very much appreciated - You too ...

      Delete
  8. From: Slarty29

    Hi Ian,

    I hope you don't mind me sending you a personal message but my wife and I have just read your blog and she asked me to pass on our best wishes.

    I can't imagine what the three of you have been through over the last few years but, SWMBO's update yesterday was such brilliant news that it brought us both to tears.

    We read your blog every day and have been following Kamila's journey as best as we can. So pleased for you all!

    Hope you have the most fantastic Christmas!

    Mike & Alison.

    PS You probably won't remember,, but you were on holiday with Junior last summer (2015) and I bought you a bottle of beer on Tsougria beach and we sat and had a chat for 10 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember, how many crazy Welshman, with no shirt can there be ? We met again at the Amaretto. Look forward to when we can do it again. Best wishes to you both...

      Delete
  9. What wonderful news!!!
    I bite my lips not to cry of joy!
    (The othe patrons here at O'Batis would look strangely st me)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear you are keeping warm, Perhaps you could pass the news, to Xristos & Eleni ...

      Delete
  10. Hi Ian,Have followed your blog for some time.We too have been affected by the big C.My son underwent treatment twice...he is also clear,his aim was to get to skiathos for a holiday again...and he did it!!You have been in my thoughts many times ,so pleased for you all!!!Hope you get back there soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kitch66
      Great News, Terrifying when you hear of a sibling suffering this awful disease. I hope you have a great holiday this year together Kamila xxx

      Delete
  11. That's really good news.
    Very pleased for all your family.
    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete, much appreciated. Hope all is good, and well with your family ...

      Delete
  12. ***Message from Colnix***

    Fantastic news from SWMBO! The best Christmas present for you all!

    Didn't get to the rock this year, think that is only the 3rd time in 25yrs we have missed! Our son got married in June so our holiday fund became the wedding fund! Hope to make it next year when the bank balance recovers.

    Best wishes to Kamila,Junior and yourself for Christmas and hope the New Year continues to bring you all good health!

    Yammas!

    Colin & Karen Nixon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colin - Its been a tough few years, now we can plan more than seven days in advance :)

      Congratulations on your sons wedding, get booked up quick before the 'grandchildren fund' gets annexed ...

      Best wishes

      Delete
  13. Such good news... I'm so very pleased for you all. Have a wonderful Christmas and all the very best for 2017.

    ReplyDelete