Wednesday, 19 October 2016

Back on line ...

After a short break ...

Drinking coffee, watching dolphins, and catching up with friends, and a glass or two of something, that has been missing from my life. Its been a tough few months, and as I have told many friends over the years, 'sometimes you just have to do something for yourself' ...

This time the prescription, was for me ...

As the last golden rays of summer drifted into autumn, The weather stayed sunny and warm, there were a few brief wet weather interludes, and a few passing rumbles of thunder, but that was to be expected. Vromolimnos passed the big toe test, as did Megali Amos ...

Island friends stopped me everywhere, to ask about SWMBO, and Junior. A story I have repeated many many times. Neighbours shedding tears, when we met, and again when I left. Positive vibes, and the Greek way of passing you energy.

After just three days, I was feeling completely revitalised, both in mind body and spirit. Not to mention the other kind of spirit (Tsipouro) and feeling very healthy with my return to the 'Aegean diet' in addition, catching up in the hills, with a great BBQ with friends and a glass of red ...

Come here, come there, meet me, try this take this, and of course, my ongoing fun and games with the bureacracy. Giving presents, receiving gifts, Catching up with the news, gossip, hearing shocking news, and who has come and gone in the last few months. Absent friends ...

Getting great advice, and I swiftly found I could sleep again ...

I caught a few people out, was rumbled by JH's sixth sense, met Rainy, Debby, and the lovely Anastasia, the famous Wedding Co-ordinator, 'the lady that makes people happy'

Then the guys from Kalypso, season over preparing for the famous fishing trip. Amanda recovering from five months of Mamma Mia. I guess some were a bit put out, when i did not recognise them, but apologise if that were the case ...

I camped out at Syraino, Gerani and a few other places in between for some much needed quality time. Great lunches, mezes, fish dishes, prawns, and a great 'impromptu' time at Gravisi. Shared a few tips about their lovely house, and wobbly legs on the way home - it was the Serbian schnapps, not the bucket of wine ...

As you all know and tell everyone, 'Skiathos is closed, nothing is open' ...

Nothing could be further from the truth, the real Skiathos is there, alive and well and as far removed from the tourist one, the one you all know and love so well ...

I of course had a terrible time with the locals, and autumn visitors, until after more farewells, I was dragged kicking, and screaming over the tarmac, and boarded a Sky Express plane off the rock ...

It was good to be back ...

All content, including Photographs, graphics, text, © The Skiathian 2010-2016. All rights reserved

5 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed your well earned, much needed break. Recharge the batteries ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you both, for further lifting spirits ...

      Delete
  2. A message from Tony Hall ...

    Hi Ian & family,

    I cannot post on site. Do not belong to links.
    So here is what I wrote:
    A fantastic report. Full of love & Greek way of life.
    Continue to be strong, there is a God, may be Greek Orthodox
    very best TONY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pleased you made it and pleased you enjoyed the visit.
    An Autumn visit?
    Maybe one day?
    Nice to hear mention of the Kalypso and Amanda, who knows but if I get the first Thomas Cook flight out in 2017 and sit in seat 1E again I could have a good chat with her to make the journey seem quicker.
    All the best.
    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pete

      You have me thinking now, which Amanda? - Amanda of the cinema or Lady Amanda?

      Delete