Monday, 9 May 2016

Maios 8 - Crazy day - Part three ...

Its 1pm and I am in Koukounaries harbour ...

The boats are beached after the girls from Athens have won the championship. In my opinion, not only were they good, they were professional and a well trained team. A well deserved victory, and a class act for everyone to aspire to ...

We join the celebrations, I watch the photo calls, the interviews for Skiathos Life and Skiathos TV. I watch as the tourists wander by as if nothing is going on, its like they have blinkers ...

Friends cone over to see me sitting in the wings, Sofia from the Vodafone shop, Some faces I recognise as the Skiathos family jigsaw comes together. Lena my Skiathos dentist and friends, join the photo call. I just watch and take it all in, later I learn the gossip ...

Skiathos families are there, they make a point of saying hello, they know me - Its a small island ...

Time to go, says Yannis off to the awards presentation, Up to the Skiathos Palace Hotel, an area is cleared for us on the terrace, sunbeds are relocated. The lady chef sets up table. I help move screens, and promotional materials.



The awards and cups are laid out on tables, people appear who were not on the beach. Yes in Greece if there is food, you have many friends.


The presentation started and we were sweltering in the heat, The queue for the buffet was very busy indeed.

Prizes for the winners ...


and the runner up also from Athens ...


the capsized Thesalonikians,


The sponsors, the hotel for being such great hosts. We applauded them all for a great job well done, and they all deserved it too ...

Champions also get to sit on a car roof ...


As we boiled in the sun, a beer was a great friend ...



But I have a plane to catch - 'No stay another week' - I cant SWMBO needs me back ...

I boarded a fast motorbike, behind Yannis back to town, passing Mr Waddington, and his cameras on the way. I shouted and waved, as we passed. Nice to have met him, and such great photos ...

I made it to the airport, the chaos of the TC check in, resolved by my earlier decision to take a copy of my updated booking as proof. For some it was expensive, others just exerted plain rudeness ...

One 'gentleman' trying to check in for Manchester, was screaming and shouting at the girls, he had 13kg hand luggage. 'That's 2 x 6kg don't you understand' he was shouting.

Its very clear, when you book you are allowed up to '6kg of hand luggage per person' (That means on you) not added together, in a small suitcase to take on board.

All hand baggage that I saw was being weighed, if you are overweight you have to pay - same with hold luggage.

The girls at check in work for Swissport - Its not their fault ...

I thought I would see 'Adnamsman' and friend of the blog Pete aka 'pwll' but it was not to be. I boarded with Phil and Sheila and never saw them again either.

Met some more lovely people on board, and got chatted up by a young Aussie blonde - So not a bad trip all round really ...

My departure was closely monitored by 'friend of the blog' - Trevor ,,,

"Skiathian has left the Island"
Three hours 25-ish to get back from Skiathos, around the same to get back home from Gatwick, but despite the lack of trains, my internal compass made it home, cross country.

Two drunks wanted an in depth chat on the bus, another gentleman was higher than the 37000 feet I had ascended to, and stood laughing and insisted on trying to shake my hand.

Top it all, two people wanted my money. I had a few euro cents if they wanted to rob me, but the thought of a 100 kilo right hander, may have put them off - Its good to be back home ...


1 comment:

  1. Hi Ian.
    Sorry I missed you.
    I arrived out on the Manchester flight on Wednesday 4th in time for the "crash, bang, wallop" storm that night.
    Dinged the rear bumper of one of Magda's Jimnys. Embarrassing. Expensive.
    Managed a trip to Koukounaries beach on the Thursday afternoon when the rains subsided.
    It was a pleasant afternoon there but a bit crowded with some 20 odd people on the kilometer stretch of sand so I spent the rest of the week visiting the north side.
    Mandraki was less crowded with about 6 people most days.
    Quite bareable(correct spelling)
    The start of the season and very pleasant too.
    Empty, sunbedless beaches.
    Like being a millionaire or like being Richard from Virgin with his Necker Island but probably better.
    Flight back yesterday with no refuelling stop at Kavala as aircraft lightly loaded both ways, less than three quarters full on the return.
    Had a row of three seats to myself and extra legroom, ideal at 6'4".
    All the best.
    Pete.

    ReplyDelete