Tuesday, 19 April 2016

Swallows and amazons...

That's what is like out of season ...

You make your way up from Athens or down from Thessaloniki. Its an adventure, you see new places and meet new people on the way.

The X93 airport bus prices have gone up ...


The road up from Athens at this time of the year, is quiet, the view from the bus has amazing colours, towards Evia across the water. The villages covered in fresh spring flowers as life goes on as normal.

Through the countryside you see dereliction of once prosperous businesses, projects seemingly abandoned - One being the high speed railway line, bridges and viaducts built lines laid then petering out in a field by the motorway with piles of concrete sleepers disappearing into new grown foliage ...

Its a good run, and we stop at Aghios Konstantinos, for a break. Arriving in Volos a very swift four hours fifteen minutes after leaving Athens.

I always plan to stop overnight in Volos, regardless of the time of arrival - unless there is a convenient departure for the islands ...

I rest at the Hotel Electra, where its quiet and they do a great breakfast. I called them from the bus on the way up from Athens. Panos answered the phone, and took the details, and did not seem surprised with a 'see you in two hours' from Ioannis apo Skiatho ...

We arrived, and I think he remembered me. Swiftly accommodated, then he very kindly assisted me, with the usual travelers problems. Nothing ever too much of a problem, and a great help.

Maria looked after us once again at breakfast, the following morning, with a warm smile as usual. Greek Yoghurt and peaches for me, Account paid and off to the port for the ferry. Lovely friendly hosts, and a quiet comfortable hotel - What more can you ask for.

However in the evening, I refuel at To Paragadi. Its my 'Tsipouro Ouzeri Mezedopolio' place of choice when in Volos ...

Its become a firm favourite, since being led astray there one night by 'Adnamsman' It remains the only place I fell flat on my face on the way in, rather than the way out - after tripping over a low chain in the rain one night.

Always swift service and a genial friendly host. The owner even puts up with junior ordering first. 'Octopus arms and Limonada parakolo' Always happy to return there ...

Down on the port, I get my tickets opposite the harbour at Sporades travel. Georgia remembers me, and my desperate trips between Larisa Volos and the island. With a 'Hello and how is your wife' ...


Once on the ferry you have time to spare, after a while you fancy a snack, then you remember why you used to visit the bakery before boarding ...



Yes a frappe coffee, and a packet of crisps - €6.10 ! You sit down swiftly to recover from the shock.

The ferry leaves on time, gracefully pulling away from the dock, but arrives in Skiathos 15 minutes late. It seems they are still throttling back the engines, to save fuel ...


But two hours forty after leaving Volos you arrive here.



A little lighter in pocket and richer in experience ...

4 comments:

  1. Hey, don't knock the prices Ian - some of us have to pay hundreds of pounds to come out there to enjoy origami crisps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dennis - What makes you think I did not ?

      Delete
  2. Just a silly assumption, I suppose. Maybe a throw away comment out of jealousy that I'm not gobbling my crisps for another nine weeks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travel to Greece is cheap. Travel within Greece now an expensive luxury.

      Athens/Skiathos/Athens with Aegean came out at €296

      Athens/Volos/Skiathos/Volos/Athens cost €246

      Delete