Wednesday, 3 February 2016

Greek Day ...

We had a Greek day yesterday ...

SWMBO was at the hospital for a big Chemo day, only it turned out she was not. For the second time running, they did not have the drugs. This takes us back to Greece, only there you had a sixty mile trip to the hospital for a wasted journey ...

So after a couple of hours of waiting, past appointment time (Think add another eight for the treatment) they said, not today thank you ...

I knew nothing of this, as I had been working on a 'meal of the day' for her return.

My version of Beef Stifado had been marinating for 18 hours, in some sweet wine. The recipe had been borrowed from Michaela, and can be found here. The pot was on the go, and the house full of sweet aromas when SWMBO walked in, very much to my surprise.

If you know me, and mobiles, don't text if its important. I thought phones were speech devices, and as far as comms go. Me and mine, we certainly are not joined at the hip.

It was only later when we were enjoying the meal, she said, where is my wine? I said there was a glass of that sweet stuff you like, in the bottle, I used it in the marinade.

'No that's not sweet wine, thats the special home made wine, my friend made me from strawberries and summer fruits'!

Oops ...

Not that I would know, Dry January has merged into Drought February...

I can confirm, it must have been 'good stuff'' ...

There were some very impressive flames, when the alcohol burned off frying the meat. So to replicate our version, you will need around 250ml glass of red, in an old Blossom Hill bottle with a screw cap, and a Polish home brewing friend  ...

I had wondered why it lasted so long, but what was left, certainly seemed OK in the bottle ...

Memo: Tomorrow is tłusty czwartek or Fat Thursday, I had better not screw up the doughnuts

5 comments:

  1. Hope it is as good as Alex's in The Big Bad Wolf. We tried to make it the way Alex told us, but it was not the same oh well only 14 weeks to go :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used more tomatoes (Two tins) plus the tomato paste, but I like it that way. Like all good stews its even better on the second day ...

      Delete