Wednesday, 10 December 2014

Little summer ...

A day without rain  ...

Well at least for now. Yesterday (Tuesday) was wet and very windy. It chilled you and soaked you almost simultaneously in the morning, later it was just cold and breezy. I just love that feeling of a raindrop descending and making landfall, via a building roof tile, straight down the back of your neck.

I made good use of my dwindling olive wood supplies last night, to keep us warm, and dry clothes. Outside the streets despite the strong breeze, were swathed in woodsmoke.

Its normal here in town to light the fires early, there not being a lot of sunlight to keep the interiors warm. My neighbours light theirs at 1pm, others though burn wood all day ...

This morning, I cut up the last of last years wood supply. Its now all bagged up ready for use. However still two logs remain to be cut up, as the process has blunted the mighty chainsaw. So its time for me to order some more wood. This has not been without its own difficulties, my phone having crashed this year, taking with it all my numbers, so I am trying a new supplier ...

As I type, a neighbour is hard at work with the chainsaw, Perhaps he took the lead from me ...

I have crossed town twice this morning, on the paper trail. No change there, and will do the same again tomorrow as its half day closing on wednesday, here on the rock.

'Virgin olive oil' being delivered around the streets to elederly neighbours, this morning. 15 litre drums the normal method of delivery. Its not been the best harvest year for the owners of olive trees, Many have lost a lot of the harvest to the poor autumn weather. Others have decided not to pick them, as the return is not worth the investment, on a reduced yield.

Sadly it looks like the supermarket will be our supplier, for the next two years. If this is replicated across Greece - Then watch the price of Italian Oil go through the roof. Much of Greece's harvest takes the ferry, and changes nationality once bottled ...

Only 15 days until Christmas day, Before that we have another stormy few days ahead, then it should be fine for the weekend, and the annual Christmas bazaar ...

No comments:

Post a Comment