Monday, 4 August 2014

Time to remember ...

Its a hot afternoon once again here on Skiathos ...

I wonder if it were the same 100 years ago, the day the first world war started. I am an lucky, in my lifetime, I have never had to put on a military uniform. I have never been called on to fight anyone, on behalf of my country.

I remember the cold war and seeing 'anti aircraft missiles' being set up on my town green, where we played football. I remember the testing of the air raid siren, and the public information films ...

I read a piece yesterday, in a UK newspaper regarding my grandfather's younger brother. Killed in 1916 on HMS Russell in Malta. His life extinguished at the tender age of just 17 years. Had he lived, how big would the family be now, how many cousins etc would there have been?

His mother died a few weeks later, of heart failure. She was buried in a paupers grave, in the local church. You can but wonder why she passed away, a broken heart ...

How many will pause to remember tonight - or wonder what might have been ?

From the UK Daily Mail ...

Families are being asked to leave on a single light or candle to commemorate the moment prime minister Herbert Asquith declared Britain had entered the First World War at 11pm. Buildings around the country, including The House of Parliament, Tower Bridge and 10 Downing Street, will be included in the 'moment of reflection' between 10pm and 11pm, leaving just a light illuminating a window. The plan is inspired by the words of then foreign secretary Sir Edward Grey, who said just before the announcement: 'The lamps are going out all over Europe; we shall not see them lit again in our lifetime.' The initiative will coincide with a ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Westminster Abbey.

Tonight I will light a candle, and wonder what might have been, hope you do too - Thank you for reading ...

No comments:

Post a Comment