Saturday, 7 June 2014

Restaurants ...

Its that time of year ...

'Can I ask you something? Perhaps you can help me, my restaurant is not doing very well. I understand you are a good person, you know people and can help me'

It happened again last night. It always takes me by surprise. I listen to the plea, and say to myself 'why do you think your restaurant is empty' There is usually a good reason for it.

I had an e mail asking me to recommend the 'best and only the most expensive restaurants' for a summer visit. No idea on that one, as I would not go to them.

Some places that people recommend, I have been to and its been awful, or the service has been appalling. One person wrote glowingly yesterday, about a place that my friend said the day before, was the worst experience of her life ...

Much as I would love to try all the restaurants here, I am not financially viable to be the islands Jay Rayner on your behalf. Jay is someone who's views and literary skills I do admire, and respect immensely.

If you see me on here, and I have visited somewhere with friends, its because - I know they want to go there, and that we will get a good meal and experience. The last thing I want to do is take someone somewhere, and be embarrassed. Most of all I go there because I like the place ...

I go where I know I and my family will be welcome, and the food is good. The chef is the same as last year, as he/she is retained and has probably been paid by a good employer ...

If you want me to review a place, I understand you want to help someone, and you have your own reasons.

I live here and cannot afford to go out every night. My disposable income goes on my family - SWMBO & Junior. Not into taverna owners pockets who have plenty of money, and who also have nice holidays in winter.

So here is the deal, you want me to try a place, then send me €50. I take the family there as a mystery shopper. I pay them for the meal, then I post an honest review on Tripadviser. Its the best place for it, not here. Then I post you the receipt. That way we all know where we are.

Otherwise please do not ask anyone to approach me, its a waste of time. I cannot and will not do it - Its just not my scene ...




No comments:

Post a Comment