Monday, 12 May 2014

Some people are very strange ...

Last night a member of the aristocracy, was talking ...

About me and not quite to me, she said to her friend " I doubt he speaks English"
I said politely, 'I am English, was there anything I could do to help her' ...

She looked at me over the top of her half rim glasses. Studied me the way a sparrow extracts a worm from the soil, and the English rose in the Laura Ashley style dress, turned her back, and walked off with her friend, without a further word or acknowledgement.

Perhaps they forgot to reboard the cruise liner, the other day. The golden years are not always the best for some. But from the accent you would certainly expect better manners ...

I must admit, I am fascinated by what people are jabbering on about, when they think you are Johnny foreigner. Last night some couples were chatting away, the ladies were trying to out laugh each other like Hyenas. The pitch increased every few seconds, but the men were not laughing just talking. Perhaps its something from our ancient DNA, the hyena laugh to show territorial advantage.

Next two ladies asked me to change some money, I must admit, I did laugh but they were charming and fun. Perhaps its a new service that I should offer. I advised them where to go and the best rate. Sadly I could not help them further.

What happened next was amazing, A man came and asked me some advice. I tried to help him as best I could. He knew what he wanted and was very polite. His good lady wife, came up with steam emitting from her ears.

Peter ! Don't talk to him, I have had enough, come here!
She grabbed him by the arm, and pulled him away. I watched amazed as he was dragged away to heel.

In just a few hours, I had seen the best and worst of the traveller. I looked at the moon and its not yet full. I can only put down what I witnessed, as the strain some people feel on holiday in a new environment. In one case probably being in close proximity with their partner for more time than just a weekend.

As for being mistaken for a local, My tan must be coming along nicely then. When the weather is like this, you could be excused for mistaking the Skiathian for a Skiathiti ...

Note the heat haze ...
Later last night, I met up with Jane and friends at a new bar on the Paralia. Great to catch up on news and events. For the first time in 23 years I met a native of Trinidad, and we spoke abot how things have changed over the years. The scarlet ibis, the pitch lake, tropical rain, smokey and bunty, Scotland bay where we both tried body surfing, the Queens Park Oval and whats been going on in that beautiful country ...

What a lovely few hours - However just how the bar will do, at €4 a small bottle, I am not so sure. Lovely wine glasses, and not much evidence in the way of tapas. Perhaps their view of tapas is different to mine. Four beers and just two bowls of crisps is taking the Michael. Hope by the time you get here that have given the finishing touches to the loos ...

Teatime update:

One of the new buses, is running on the route. Seems to be a lean mean and very quiet machine. Looks good too ...

All content, including Photographs, graphics, text, © The Skiathian 2010-2014. All rights reserved

5 comments:

  1. Ian, you really should write a book - it would be a best seller - really enjoying the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started and laughed too much ...

      Delete
    2. ...laughing my head off now!!

      Delete
  2. That is a great blog ian' if I get the chance to talk to i will put on my best Middlesbrough telephone voice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's about observations, some of the things that happen, are unbelievably funny or just bizarre. Just wondering where they all are tonight, the moon is high and nearly full ..

      Delete