Saturday, 3 May 2014

Smoke signals ...

Now as far as I know, bonfires are banned ...

However the recent rain may have permitted an extension to the date. Just the other day the trees at acropolis were pruned. The logs were carried away by the faithful to season during the summer for winter heat.

The detritus left behind was burned resulting in a smoke plume, that left us choking in town for two days.

This morning, I am witness to two smoke plumes. One from a bonfire of palm cuttings. The other from a sit on lawnmower, that has seen many years action. It also has an oscillating cutter, that one day will emerge through the base, just below where the operators flip flops are controlling the vehicle ...

Both bonfire and lawnmower, seem to be resulting in the same amounts of smoke. One will in the passage of time, go out. The other may explode, with an enormous backfire, for the second time this morning ...

Last night, an island friend, gave me a box of lettuce for my goats. I do not have any, so he offered me one. Some men come home from the pub with a dog. I dread to think what SWMBO would say if I turned up with a goat ...

Still that would be a great way, for the British bars, to help out the dogs home, this summer

I have picked a few of these ...


When I say a few, a couple of bags full. Some as big as your clenched fist ...

What was a beautiful sunny morning, is now a slightly murky one. The rattle from the lawnmower blade, has changed pitch.

I would watch the flip flops Nikos, if I were you ...

Later:
Looks like the lawnmower has suffered a technical fault. It's on its side, the tools are out. The blade is off, and Nikos is scratching his head ...

Later still:
It's fixed, Nikos is heading at speed towards the square of uncut grass. It resembles a game reserve with grass high enough to hide wildlife. I would say if I had a gun, pheasant is a distinct possibility. He has lowered the blade, and we have a deeper rotary clunking than before, he has also disappeared in a cloud of dust, and engine smoke ....

A little later still: The game reserve has been lowered, however the lawnmower is back on its side, in the repair shop. I think I know what is wrong, the Bengali who usually drives the lawnmower, must weigh about 50 kilos. Nikos probably double that and more ...

Even later: This afternoon, near Aghia Pareskevi, a cock pheasant actually flew up, very close as we drove back. I slowed down to avoid it, such a beautiful bird, lovely colours. The Scandinavians have arrived and are being ferried down the island ...

Here are some views of clouds, just a few hours apart, Trevor knows the exact position, he taught me last year ...



Tonight it's very quiet again, queues both sides of the road, at the bus stops. Hopefully they all know which way they are going. Only one bus so some are in for a long wait. The grass has now been lowered to fairway level. The small of new cut grass, and sound of spanners working on a lawnmower ....

All content, including Photographs, graphics, text, © The Skiathian 2010-2014. All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment