Thursday, 3 April 2014

The street falls silent ...

A sad event this afternoon ...

The undertaker is in the street, and I do not know why. Its so quiet, that we feel we are intruding, even though we live there. Later as we came home from school, it was still hushed, the hearse still parked.

As I closed the door, I saw the coffin, its lid propped outside my neighbours house. The shutters drawn to keep out the afternoon sunlight. This siesta time though, sadly it is different ...

A steady stream of visitors, and neighbours, followed a little later by Pappa Yorgos. I watched as he made his observances, and then went indoors. It was another hour before I learned, who had passed.

Κοιμηθείτε καλά Μαρία, ασφαλές ταξίδι ...

1 comment:

  1. How very sad,I am so sorry to hear the bad news. Any time of year is a sad time to pass on,but spring time when everything is starting to grow and come alive always seems sadder, my respects to you and the family

    ReplyDelete