Wednesday, 15 January 2014

Papers Papers ...

Yes its Bureacracy time again ...

After no less than nine trips to one office, over three days. I finally got to see the right person. Luckily the planets were lined up yesterday, and they were in the office. Actually at the time their colleagues said they would be.

The moon was nearly full on the waxing, and not waning side. The official had consumed the statutory seven cups of coffee, and there was an ancient take away version on their desk.

There was no queue, in fact no one in there at all apart from us ...

One of those moments frozen in history, that make you feel great to be alive.

Αυτό θέλετε τώρα?
You want this now?

Ναι παρακαλώ
Yes please ...

Looks at the paper, looks at me, looks at PC screen (Probably checking Facebook) Looks at the paper - Looks up at me, and says ...

Πέμπτη μετά τις 10 π.μ.!
Thursday after 10am !

I am not sure which Thursday but will try tomorrow ...

On to office number 2 ...

I have a document in Greek, from a public office, detailing what I need to do, and who to see.

Καλημέρα!
Good Morning!

Totally ignored, both me and my greeting, carries on shuffling papers, lights cigarette, sips at empty coffee cup. Looks up.

I am still there ...

Τι θέλεις?
What do you want?

I hand over the paper ...

Ποιος σας έδωσε αυτό
Who gave you this?

Surely the large logo gave the game away ...

Αυτό θέλετε τώρα?
You want this now?

Ναι παρακαλώ
Yes please ...

Δεν είστε Ελλήνων ...
You are not Greek ...

Thinks out loud (No I am a European citizen same as you) ...

Δίνω έξω αυτό το χαρτί το Μάιο
I give out this paper in May

Συγγνώμη αλλά χρειάζομαι τώρα ...
Sorry but I need it now ...

Τι γίνεται αν αλλάζει η νομοθεσία ?
What if the law changes ?

Θα έρθει πίσω και να πάρει άλλο ένα ...
I will come back and get another one ...

Clutching my two pieces of paper (No double sided printing here), held together by the last remaining staple in the office. The stapler itself in long overdue need of a refit.  I go to leave ...


Ευχαριστούμε ...
Thank you ...

The door handle to the office comes off in my hand, the bar flies out and disappears under the secretary's desk. There are still no screws holding the mechanism in the door. Nothing has changed nor a repair made since the last time I was there, three months previous.

No one took any notice, they just light up another cigarette ...

On to office number three ...

Τι είναι το προσωπικό σας αριθμό?
What is your personal number?

I deliver my file of copies to the desk, and ask which one they need ...

Διαβατήριο
Passport ...

I hand it over

Πού είναι το προσωπικό σας αριθμό
Where is your personal number?

I point at the Passport number ...

Δεν σας προσωπικό αριθμό
No your personal number ...

Δεν είστε Ελλήνων ...
You are not Greek ...

Thinks out loud again (No I am a European citizen same as you) and they do have my passport in their hand at this moment  ...

So after much discussion, it appears that some European states, their citizens have a personal number from birth. This is documented on their passports. Those from GB/UK do not, Neither do I have a certificate of family tree, however Greece and Serbia do ...

I have another paper to pick up, but as I am not Greek, and today is a full moon ...

4 comments:

  1. Ian you forgot about one planet that is very important otherwise everything disappears up it........ Uranus :-). You could ask Nikos when it's in the right position, trouble is it takes 84 years to do 1 orbit about the same time it will take to get your paperwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Είναι ότι ο πλανήτης Ελληνικής ?
      Is that planet Greek ?

      Delete
  2. Yes. Uranus (/ˈjʊərənəs/ or /jʊˈreɪnəs/; Ancient Greek Οὐρανός, Ouranos meaning "sky" or "heaven") was the primal Greek god personifying the sky. The Skiathos office is still processing his personal number before they can make him sky god.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lets hope Uranus (/ˈjʊərənəs/ or /jʊˈreɪnəs/; Ancient Greek Οὐρανός, Ouranos meaning "sky" or "heaven") is not going retrogade on Thursday as that will last around 44 years :)

      Keep smiling, as we make the rules up as we go along :)

      Delete