Wednesday, 6 November 2013

Thunderstorm and lightning ...

Winter is supposed to arrive next week ...

However it did a pretty good job announcing its arrival, at around 04:15am with thunderclap that shook the house. A few intermittent thunderclaps, and the steady percussion of rain on the roof, that soon became a torrent. The street outside awash, and for once in a while the storm drains cleared through to the sea.

Still I am feeling pretty good, the freshly oiled shutters are closed, and doing their job.

The work list goes on, but the most important job of all has been completed, as my aching back will testify.

Ah yes - Skiathian is now ready for winter, which as I said earlier is apparently arriving next week (Despite what that brilliant flash of light, and booming thunderclap outside, that suggested to the contrary) ...

Olive wood really is quite attractive to look at ...
This was the first delivery, to the house around a quarter of a ton, and back breaking work it was, just to get it stacked nice, neat and safe. Each piece of olive wood, is between 30-40cm long., and a log can weigh as much as 8 kilos.

Later I had some more delivered for a friend on the island, that was rather hard work. I had to shift it twice to get it to the storage. Around 40 return trips, carrying logs - who needs gym membership. Now I can carry three or four, split logs at any one time, So naturally I dropped one big heavy one right on my foot.

It made me dance quite a bit, but luckily this time it missed my brittle metatarsals - They are OK, well for now at least ...

So the firewoods in, both here, and there, the wellies are ready by the door. Pappas Yorgos is ringing the church bells. Winter can start whenever it likes ...

All content, including Photographs, graphics, text, © The Skiathian 2010-2013. All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment