Friday, 6 September 2013

Temptation ...

I looked up and there they were ...

It was as if they were calling me, like the siren of the seas. They were around 20 feet up, if only I could get up there, I thought. Then a plan started to come together.

If I get up that part of the tree, they are wrapped around a branch. One branch leads to another ...

I leaned, I tugged, they swayed, they slowly started to descend, ever nearer towards me. They were almost within reach, near but not quite near enough ...

Mmmm - Time for plan B.

I looked down, its five or six feet, soft landing area ...

I remembered the Tarzan films of my youth ...



I leapt out into the shrubbery, and as luck would have it grabbed the right branch. I made a bit of a racket, rather like Tarzan on landing, one that brought some Albanian maids out to witness what the crazy Englishman was up too ...

One small leap for man, one giant leap for free food ...

On landing, OK Impact - I was bombarded with fruit, my shirt bears witness to the ferocity of the attack ...

There were a few angry wasps too, who can blame them ...

But I think it was worth it, in my hand was the vine ...

A couple of Kilos ...
The Albanian maids had some, now quite impressed, only ever having seen Tarzan, in Black and White, on Tirana TV ...

Some Greek people who were down the road had some bunches too, also commenting they were still warm from the sun. To be honest, my fingers were hurting with the weight of carrying the bunches between them, it was a case of 'the grapes are on me' to all comers ...

Now washed Junior and SWMBO will probably eat them all before I get home ...

PS: My friends in Cape Town, I have found you a Pomegranate tree - one much easier to pick ...

8 comments:

  1. ...now that must have been fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even better to reap the rewards :) Ian would have been impressed ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, where I live (on the rock); both grapes and pomegranate can be easily picked, without risking your life / limbs...........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cultivated vines plenty of those bearing fruit right now - or a wild grape vine in the Skiathos countryside. One growing thorough trees and bushes, like nature intended. Guess which one I prefer :)...

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are counting the days until we can raid our secret wild vine in Achladies...!! How are the figs doing? Are they almost over now? Counting the hours until we arrive next Friday, I guess we will see you on the parelia sometime Friday evening :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may have to search a little harder this trip :)) ...

      Delete
  6. Tarzan? I believe that Norman Wisdom was also very popular in Albania :-)))

    ReplyDelete