Friday, 5 April 2013

Bureaucracy, Great friends and a Meze ...

That took up most of the morning ...

Luckily I escaped the ordeal, and went back to the fish harbour with junior. Now this was clearly a better catch day than yesterday. The boats were all swiftly displaying their catch as they arrived.

There was quite a lot of excitement as the catch was displayed on the bows of each boat. Not least from Junior who was as excited as anyone, at the catch was displayed on deck ...



Lots of different types of fish, Sea Bass and Monkfish were some that I recognised - along with a relaxed approach to sales ...




Sea bass and Codfish (Hake) ...



Monkfish/Anglerfish - Poor mans lobster, once known as scampi in the UK. Now prized as a great catch, but here only used for soup ...



During the morning - SWMBO called with some good news, she had bumped into another good friend of ours - Yannis the taximan.  Yannis is a great Greek friend, knows something about life, is a good guy, and unusually for a taxi driver knows where to go.

From the moment we met, he always says 'you need anything - call me' I have abused that privilege over the last year, with no complaints. Have even been picked up off the street, and taken for a ride, when I least expected it.

So, he spots SWMBO, calls her over for a chat, calls me and tells me off, for not getting in touch ...

He also gave her his new telephone number - We had been touched by a friend - and I felt guilty even though I would not have been able to contact him if I had tried ...

Later we met up with the ladies, and went for some more bureaucracy in town, Junior fortified with more ice cream - however we only met polite civil servants, at the busy public office. Something that could be learned back home on Skiathos. So as well as giving out the correct information, and stamping the forms correctly and swiftly they told us what we had to do - back home ...

Thank you Volos, we are indebted once again ...

On my travels, I took another quick look at the steam engine graveyard at Volos railway station, from afar ...





What a shame these museum pieces are being left to rust away, but at least this time, I saw them in daylight, rather than early morning gloom, across the tracks.

Then off to Jumbo in celebration, for some female retail therapy. Jumbo to me a cross between a vast toystore and general store. In other words - Pure hell.

Lots of the goods of far eastern origin, some good, some not so good. Up ramps and down ramps with trolleys. Aisle after aisle after aisle, as the girls like sharks, went on a shopping frenzy ...

OK we bought it - How do we get it home ...
Emerging laden down and in search for a cab, None here, then those words came back to me - 'you need anything - call me' so we did, 10 minutes later the party started, and lasted all the way home

Our man in Volos - Yannis
We share the same love of nice cars, however he has a nice Mercedes, and takes strange calls from English islanders. Whereas I live on a rock in the aegean, and like the look of this beautiful soft top VW bug ...



Even this took my eye on my travels - I am no two wheel fan, but has a certain rustic style ...


Fun and games over, and back at base, a cup of tea, and then a rumbling tummy. We had so much fun, and bureaucracy  all in one day - so it was Meze time. Well in Volos act like an argonaught ...

Volos has the best ouzeria's that I have ever had the opportunity to explore. Tonight a simple affair of seven plates, one of which was Perca. This one must have been huge, the flakes of fish soft and moist, a pleasure to eat, taste and enjoy.



Welcomed back, like an absent friend, Alexi remembered me from a year ago, even the fish soup they had cooked especially for SWMBO. If you want to enjoy the experience, its just next door to AVIS and the new Spot cafe.

Looking up, there was another friend from years gone by, Carlos who hugged me - I checked, I had retained the watch and wallet, and we spent an hour or so laughing, reminiscing about out late night walk, with the ephitaphos. The only Brits with the Greeks one Pasca, taking our turn sharing the burden, fortified by Spanakopita, from the bakery in Papadamatis street at 4am ...

Great times shared with special friends, in a lovely city - Volos I will miss you these next few months ...

All content, including Photographs, graphics, text, © The Skiathian 2010-2013. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment