Saturday, 9 March 2013

WD40 (take 2) ...

Wet again first thing ...

Once again grey skies and a cloudbase that hung on the hills. My early trip up Papadamatis street saw me fighting to keep my footing on the slippery stones. Emerging unscathed into the back streets, and dodging two stray terriers that were enjoying breakfast, from an overflowing rubbish bin.

I am amazed how many dogs and cats this island produces. Some are saved and sent overseas for a better life. Others lead a wretched existence on the streets and in the bins.

Intercepted by Yannis on his motorcycle to confim, I was in his team for the carnival party. Screeching brakes and slidding tyres, for a few seconds my life appeared in danger. We laughed and agreed the deal.

Out on the ring road someone has brought some sheep down to graze on a small garden. It's a lush diet of green grass, spring flowers and wild greens. All three sheep secured by ropes, and harvesting in a circular pattern, and probably destined for a spit at Pasca.

Carrefour not exactly brimming with fresh offerings, and another opportunity to break a limb, as the lady cleaner mops the aisle, as we customers fight to stay upright in her wake.

Emerging into brilliant sunshine, and the feeling of heat. What a difference in half an hour. By the time I had got to Mrs Socks, I had quite a sweat on, and apart from the recent first nightingale at Pareskevi. The other sign that summers arriving - The first bedding plants for sale, at Mrs Socks.

Back at base, somewhat warmer for wear, I had missed breakfast, but out again with junior in search of an outfit for the carnival party. Junior does not share our enthusiasm for this - But if its a party - Then you need an outfit. In the process we found a hat for my role, and disapproving looks from junior too ...

What to do ? No outfit for junior so far, despite our best attempts, so down to the paralia then and a well earned glass of beer in the spring sunshine. For me the feeling of sunshine burning on the back of the neck - For some reason I do not get to face the water however hard I try lately.

This boat had been out to set its nets, and was returning into the old harbour ...


I had to nip up to Asteras on foot, junior requiring 'Strawberry Nesquik'  However both supermarkets are a strawberry free zone - Its chocolate austerity or nothing, and I returned empty handed - well almost - some kindling for the mighty woodburner.

Michael was still in position, with his fishing rods, and Greek friends passed the time of day. That's the way it is here on our small rock in the aegean this Saturday afternoon ...


No comments:

Post a Comment