Thursday, 28 March 2013

I went to Troulos last night ...

Great day yesterday bumping into island friends ...

Outside the school, there was Captain Michael. I have not seen him for around a year of so. I try not to disturb him when he is reading the paper outside his taverna, in Koukounaries. Yet we always pick up a conversation where we left off last time.

'I was talking about you the other day' he would say - then try to pour a litre of wine down my neck. In fact the times at his taverna, have often ended with me as a gabbling wreck on the bus home ...

Latest news is the tomatoes, egg plants, cucumbers, and herbs are all planted behind the taverna - ready for the summer guests. Usually he visits town twice a year - so to bump into an old friend, made my day.

Ioannis at the school suggested the childrens party crew meet for coffee on Friday. What a great idea, why not indeed ...

On the harbour, I saw something strange - Tourists. Yes a family here enjoying the spring sunshine, T shirts and shorts, the uniform of summer on the rock. Bravo to them exploring the harbour, having come here the hard way.

Later I went to Troulos. Naturally venturing this far down the island, I took my passport.

Bonfires everywhere as the land is cleared, olive groves strimmed as the grass, and weeds soon grow high here at this time of the year. Yesterday was a day of birthday parties, and this one was a friends special day.

A tour of a lovely house, and apartments. Fun and laughter stories shared, lovely food, and the dawning realisation. I was in the company of One Lord and two Duchesses - An island first - even for me ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thoughts are with the family of the 22 month baby airlifted to Larissa, and then Athens yesterday by military helicopter from the island ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 comments:

  1. Does Captain Michael own the fish taverna in Koukounaries? If so, he took a shine to my mum last year :)

    Chrissie from Twitter - I'd forgotten I had this account and have no idea what I was thinking when I chose the username...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chrissie

    Sounds like Captain Michael, there is a sparkle in his eyes. The taverna is part of the old Jupiter hotel, it looks like its been assembled with driftwood. He is a real character ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that's him! He gave my mum a flower every time we passed by :)

    ReplyDelete