Friday, 2 November 2012

The olive press ...

Started operations yesterday ...

Vans are heading up the hill to Kalivia, loaded with bags (Some looking very much like the plastic bottle recycling bin net bags) stuffed with Kilo's of olives to be pressed into liquid green golden nectar. It had been rumoured that it would be expensive to press the olives this year, but I have been told it will cost 12 cents per kilo of olives. Up to approx 17% of oil is produced per kilo of olives.

I have spoken to some people who cannot be bothered to pick them. Others like one this morning, who said to me - "Its my heritage - I have to do this like my father and grandfather" I was quite impressed especially when he said he had over 100 trees. Likewise he was very interested that, I had an interest in how the system all worked.

The weather is looking good for the start of the harvest, and many backbreaking hours, for those who have to work the olive groves.


Its a tough job, but as they say someone has to do it. But at the end of the day they come from the soil of the island, and its a gift of nature ...

It should not be too hard to get a harvest, and oil for free from trees that are not managed - Now there is an idea, I wonder ...

No comments:

Post a Comment