Saturday, 24 November 2012

Supermarket sweep ...

Today's cooking journey sent me looking for Chicken livers ...

Pate costs a fortune here and comes in tubs or cans from nondescript places in Europe. So today I thought I would make my own, armed with a copy of an internet recipe. On my way out of Carrefour with 1/2 kilo of Chicken Livers, I paused at the wine shelves, looking for a cheap white.

Looking over to my favourite red, the Rapsani 2009, I had the shock of my life. Reduced from €9.40 to €€7.60 yesterday, and now just €4.30 on a promotion ...



This kind of bargain is not to be missed, so called interested parties across the island, straight away. Some are waiting until Monday. Others threw down their tree bamboos, and deserted the olive groves at speed heading down to town in the 4x4's.

I know there will be a warm welcome in the hillsides, by the fire for some. Others may still be drinking Party wine - but you do your best. Sadly I was on a mission - So only one bottle of winter warmer for the rack for me, but its good to share a bargain every once in a while.

Chicken livers, cleaned fried and whizzed up with oyster mushrooms, some red onion, and almost the last of my smoked garlic. The two bowls of creamy pate, really tastes not bad at all, and is in the fridge, setting under a top hat of clarified butter.

Time enough still, to watch England compete every step of the way with South Africa, matching the Springboks for intensity and desire as they battled back from 16-6 down with real heart to lose 16-15. I switched back to watching highlights of the cricket, only to see the Aussies collapse against the Proteas, at Adelaide. Better times for England in the morning on the sub-continent - I hope ...

Tonight's risotto also used up the rest of the mushrooms, with a glass of white that sent me sleepy in front of the fire ...

Late news - Another friend down the island reporting, a  huge harvest of Olives, excellent quality oil at 0.3% acidity. This is the year of the Olive, and the factory is working 24/7 producing Liquid Gold for the islanders. More still to pick, many waiting to increase the yield by waiting for the olives to turn black and soft, and juicy.

No comments:

Post a Comment