Tuesday, 20 March 2012

The Bougainvillea ...

Got its comeuppance today ...

It grows like crazy but does not reward me with any flowers. I get lots of foliage and trunk like thickness to all the stems. So today a gentle prune, became a severe haircut.

This is what it has very rarely looked like ...

I noticed it had gripped the telephone cable,and was prising it away from the wall, with its vice like grip. The vertical stems had hit the gutters and were pushing upwards, it was clearly winning the argument - until now that is ...

So it did put up a fight, but i was not as badly wounded as last year, when the trail of blood from its huge thorns, revealed it did some serious work to my head. This time my hands look like they have been in a fight with one of the local tomcats, and are rather swollen from the scratches and deep laid splinters.

I cut up the trailing branches into small twigs, and put them in the rubbish bin. That raised a few eyebrows from the passing technical experts. There is a nice tidy pile of thicker branches neatly stacked by the bin, for the Dimos to 'leave behind' in the morning.

I am severely tempted to take the chainsaw to the main trunk tomorrow. Then as my father used to say with his roses - 'Well it has two chances' after all today is the first day of spring ...

No comments:

Post a Comment