Tuesday, 28 February 2012

Feathered companions ...

We seem to have someone roosting overnight on the balcony ...

In the morning the tell tale marks are there on the floor, and it appears our feathered friend has a companion. No signs of any nesting yet though in the rather bare bougainvillea.

Last night the rain finally stopped around 2am and the winds continued to whistle down the side of the house overnight and all morning. I had the 'mighty woodburner' going for around 11 hours yesterday. Feeding it logs every hour, little and often.

On my way to the bin, this morning - I noticed a companion skipping up the street in front of me. A pied wagtail, stepping out with me. It has a hoppy/skippy walk and was chattering away. I watched him for a while, and he seemed to enjoy my company.

I threw the bag into the bin, and out came the neighbourhood 'Ginger Tom' at speed - We both had rather a shock - However he had it coming ...

Later a cup of tea shared with a friend, and a chat about a design for my open fire. A 'swans nest' grate to improve the air circulation around the fire. If that does not work, or is not cost effective, then its time for 'Mighty woodburner no 2' ...

Its sunny outside (After the monsoon) but the outlook is still deceiving - Its really quite cold, with a windchill. I have fired up the woodburner, Its up to temperature (Around woodmark 5) and we are now nice and warm here in the house.

That recent wood delivery, has turned out to be a wise investment after all ...

No comments:

Post a Comment