Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Scratching my head ? ...

I could have sworn that i had cleaned the chimney ...

However the draw on the fire was bad, and some smoke puffed from the exit flue. A few minutes later the carbon monoxide alarm went into action. Its the first time that this has activated and is like a smoke detector, but less inconspicuous. Its shrill alarm signal would hopefully wake anyone sleeping.

Carbon Monoxide is known as the 'silent killer' - you go to sleep and are intoxicated - you wake up dead ...

I ventilated the house quickly and bashed the chimney with a piece of wood. The flame became yellow in the burner and intensified. Leaving the door open keeping the supply of air fresh to the room.

When i checked the chimney it was indeed full of soot, I removed a half carrier bag from the exit pipe. Still scratching my head 'It was confirmed that i had cleaned the pipe' before we had left for our holiday.

However it has dawned on me ...

The satelite signal has been interupted. The dish has been moved in a storm. It seems so has our external chimney pipe dislodging soot from the vertical reducing the exit flue.

Top tip - always have a Carbon Monoxide alarm, they are not just for Gas appliances ...

2 comments:

  1. you are very lucky there - or rather you have been very sensible - hope you have managed to "thaw out" now you have sorted out the chimney problem

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz, I have both Carbon Monoxide and Smoke detectors. They are there for good reason. Had them in the UK too because of the gas boilers.
    First time the Carbon Monoxide detector has ever activated - Hope others read this and take note how good it was, and did its job. Test them regularly too ...

    ReplyDelete