Thursday, 19 January 2012

Chill wind ...

That strips the Bougainvillea of leaves and distributes them along the street ...

First thing this morning, more than a crispness in the air and Bougainvillea leaves underfoot. There was a glowing red sky out over the sea, just to the right of the pounta headland. Walking ever brisker along the paralia in the pre dawn gloom, attired in hat and gloves to keep out the cold.

The water was bursting out of the spring at Taxiacharis, again i winced in readiness for cold water on the fingers. Again surprised that the water was in fact much warmer than the air. Condensation forming on the bottles in the cold morning air.

Just behind the church a cockerel was in full voice. Skopelos backlit by an amber glow, as the sun struggled its way above a distant horizon.Nearby a blackbird started a shrill alarm signal, I looked up but could not see it in the tree.
The alarm call became more persistent - enough to make me stop and look around. Behind me was a big tortoise shell cat. It was stalking me to see if i had any food. Only having an offer of affection, and it clearly being very well fed, it departed and the alarm call from above receded.

Down the hill past grazing sheep, in the olive groves. Past the terrier that sits motionless, and oblivious in the middle of the road. Shielding my eyes from the bright dawn sunlight.

Further down the island io renew aquaintances with my favourite lemon tree. This winter like the the orange tree before it, stripped of fruit. It seems someone has been before me. However I still managed to gain four fresh lemons from upper branches. It was only later that I realised we would have met each other last year, when they were just flowers, and I helped myself to the last of their fruiting neighbours.

Back along the island and into one of the bakeries, the lady welcoming me back and wishing me 'xronia polla' as I surveyed the shelves stacked with warm fresh bread. I like to think they know I have been away, but really I think they are just being polite ...

Home again to a still sleeping house, still cold but with warm bread and fresh lemons - and last but not least 58 litres of spring water ...

No comments:

Post a Comment