Friday, 4 November 2011

Old ladies ...

with a glint in their eye ...

I had been back to the dentist for a final instalment in a root canal treatment. Excellent work by the lady dentist, who has a surgery, that would be at home in either Athens or London.

Last night, just as the anaesthesia was wearing off, I heard the rattle of knuckles on the front door. There she was around 4 feet tall, and launched into a dialogue, that was way above me. My speech still being an issue she may have thought, I had had a glass of something (however on the seventh day of antibiotics) she gripped my hand and off she went ...

Only to return, a few minutes later with a length of timber, complete with bent rusty six inch nails. 'Soupa' she said, which means woodburner, and showed me where she wanted it cut. I picked up the saw, and she said 'avrio' which means later or  tomorrow, many times. I was rather confused, but she headed off into the night. A few minutes later, the lights went off - she had gone to bed ...

This morning, I opened the door to a large pile of wood - frames from the old windows on her house. These were replaced earlier this year.

A friend in need ...

Her door opened and over she came for another chat, the size was explained to me again, and we went back to her house. I was invited into her kitchen, thankfully nice and warm, and offered coffee from her 'beke' on top of her ancient, but rather warm small woodburner.

No petrol in the chainsaw, so an afternoon with a hand saw, making them just the right size. Then delivering the first supplies to my lovely neighbour ...

No comments:

Post a Comment