Monday, 4 April 2011

Feeling creative ...

It must be the new moon ...

These last few weeks i have been feeling creative, this has been expressed with the spring clean to the house. Walls painted, cleaning of light fittings and equipment. I know we are not the only residents of the house, as the painting has disturbed sleepy ants to investigate what i am up to.

Pupas and sticky insect eggs have been removed from hiddy holes, tucked out of sight, in the corners of wooden beams. My thoughts are with the stone walls, which hide all manners of hidden neighbours. They tend to emerge around Pasca which is just a few weeks away.

One year i returned here to find thousands of aphid wings, laying on the floor in the kitchen. They had been born, had taken to the wing, loved and died all in that room. This all in the space of eight weeks. I never thought, I would have to sweep up a pile of tiny wings, into a pile some centimetres high. No bodies though, our friends the ants must have tidied them away.

I still await to see if 'Gordon the Gheko" emerges from his warm lair, beneath the stairs ...

Unable to sleep this morning, I have been up and about early once again. It was when i was having some of the much diminished supply of Vromolimnos marmalade, that i started to feel the creative urge again. Time to make some more ...

... only i used up all the Vromolimnos supplies previously.

Then like the grey light of the breaking dawn, it came back to me where i had seen some more in abundant, and unwanted supply. So under cover of darkness, I headed out in search of fresh supplies. Maria from the bakery spotted me as I passed by, and called out 'Kalee Mera' over the roar of the petrol oven, as i crossed the church square.

Aided by the light of a distant street light, leaning out from a stone wall, watched over by some rather scared, and puzzled taverna cats ...

The fruits of my early morning labour



What i hope will become the next batch of Marmalade, a little later today.

Its a great shame the blog does not have the ability to transmit the aroma from these oranges. They are really ripe and fell from the tree if i touched them. No tugging required for these beauties, they wilfully dropped into my palm. The citrus scent was all around me, as i picked them. Even as you see above they are bursting with colour and heady sweetness.

Action plan for the day is in progress ...

Its now daylight outside, and the seagulls are calling. There must be a fishing boat arriving down in the harbour. Time for a coffee, to start the day, and as i learned just the other day

'Coffee's a great way to fool yourself into believing you're going to have a productive day'

I think i will be pruductive today though ...


1 comment:

  1. Critical acclaim: BBC TV Host of Masterchef to me via twitter ...

    @puddingface Gregg Wallace
    @Skiathian That's a good harvest.

    ReplyDelete