Sunday, 20 March 2011

Cold and damp ...

Sunday morning and its cold and damp ...

The wind was blowing and a distinct chill in the air. I went to dump some rubbish in the harbour communal bins. I do not prescribe to the dump it outside, for the cats to redistribute theory like my neighbours.

Swinging the bag into the bin out came some frightened cats. Best ideas as do not always work as well as planned.

Into Church Square and outside the church is a guy from Slovakia. He assures me he is an IT engineer. However today he is selling fresh eggs from a basket, from the corner shop. On week days he sells fresh vegetables in Papadamatis street, with Nikos from the riding centre at Koukounaries.

I bought some bread and purchased some eggs. Its a cold day and i am a sucker for the guy who is down on his luck. When i was in London, I used to talk every morning with a seller of the Big issue. He was always dancing, shadow boxing and very polite. This guy is a little strange but who isn't living on an island ...

Later i was in the kitchen, making a Lasagne, only to find i had no tomato paste. A quick nip round the shop and bumped into him again. This time he was in the shop with a mute greek guy who was plaiting bracelets. He explained that the guy could not speak, but made great bracelets. They were colourful and he seemed happy to show me his creations, which everyone was wearing.

As i left my Slovak friend, jumped in front of me, he had to ask me a question - my view on Bulgarian politics, cash for Japan and why the people north of the border were trying to steal Greek history.

I made my excuses from the worst case of island fever encountered this winter

I am not worthy ...

No comments:

Post a Comment