Wednesday, 30 March 2011

Back up the ladder ...

Someone said the other day its not that hard is it ...

It seems i have been painting for weeks, but i have a few hours each day to undertake painting duties. Early in the morning or late at night, when junior is asleep.

The trouble is that every once in a while, i need to catch up on some sleep too ...

However junior likes to make sure everything is tidy, when moving through the work zone. Picking up brushes or rollers, moving pots - anything that is just in reach. This evening Dada! was accompanied by an out stretched white hand, confirming that the paint was still wet and a smile ...

After yesterdays exertions on Tsougria, climbing over rocks and through the undergrowth. I am feeling the fact that I have been using different muscles. Some clearly have not been used for some time.

Today i was back to the task, brush and roller on top of a ladder over the stairs. Not my top 10 favourite places to be. Especially when you run out of paint ...

The house walls are drinking the paint, even with a dilution, it seems that i am sealing the walls then the second coat adds the finishing touch. Then there is the preparation of the surfaces, Taking down and cleaning the lights and reinstalling them, and cleaning everything when you finish.

My friends reminded me over a post beach clean up Tsipouro yesterday, that they did their house in a couple of days - I reminded them its all white, except the floor which is tiled, and no wooden beams to paint around or floors to drip on. It seems that i will have painted this house twice, and in some areas three times, by the time i have finished.

We now have colour, I must admit, that i was not keen at first, but I was wrong. The house has visual warmth that was missing in winter, to go with the heat from the mighty woodburner.

To be honest - I am quite pleased with progress so far. I could not have done it though, without the help today from my friends at Stamatis taverna. The brothers lent me their long ladder this afternoon, whilst they had a siesta. They are preparing the taverna and advise it will take 10 days to paint and prepare for opening. Roll on Pasca and the meze to die for ...

Vangelis who's name day it was the other day gave me a bottle of Tsipouro to enjoy, when i have finished to wish him a belated 'xronia polla' ...

... or was it to clean the brushes ?

No that is Raki ...

So its back to the grind, just coffee and a packet of Papadopolou digestive biscuits, to keep me going. Now where did junior leave the long brush ...


No comments:

Post a Comment