Thursday, 16 December 2010

Masterchef ...

No I am not there yet ...

But this cold weather has made me seek out things in the shops to cook, and an urge to rattle the pots and pans.

I picked up some great beef from the "island ladies favourite albanian butcher" in Asteras. My local butcher in the church square is great, but he keeps waving knives at me - I know he is just being friendly and acknowledging me, but with a filleting knife or boning knife, it can look a bit serious ...

When in the supermarket, strange things happen. Today was no exception, a rather mature lady with a twinkle in her eye whispered in my ear. "I have something you might be interested in" ...

Eyes looking left and right, eager for our conversation not to be overheard by passing ex-pats. She whispered softly "Mincemeat"

"I want to make sure you have some mince pies for Christmas" Honestly i was overjoyed, the tears welled up. I did not know what to say, she patted me on the back and headed off towards tinned tomatoes after promising me some mixed peel ...

What were you thinking !!!

Packing the car was fun, its still full of firewood, but eventually made it home, in biting cold winds along the old harbour.

This afternoon i have made a beef casserole - more than enough to freeze for later use, and a Rice pudding. Try finding nutmeg in Greek, then locating it in the supermarket.

Nutmeg = Μοσχοκάρυδο

Well a whole one grated makes the pudding very tasty, but i think i can improve on it after the taste test this evening.

English puddings in Greece - It will never catch on - Next up will be Apple pie ...

No comments:

Post a Comment